Women in Ancient Society
An eminent historian (Gerda Lerner) claims that “class [in ancient society] was constructed out of gender relations which advantaged men.”
Search the Internet
To get a better understanding of the women’s roles in the earliest civilizations, do some research.
- Rights of Women in Ancient Egypt
- Were Ancient Egyptians the First Feminists?
- Women’s Rights in Mesopotamia
Respond in writing to the following questions after exploring the internet sites above Must Be 250 words
- Is this (the opening statement about class) evident in Hammurabi’s Code? What does Hammurabi’s Code tell us about women in ancient Babylon?
- How did the political and social roles of women in Egypt differ from those of other ancient societies?
- To what extent does Lerner’s generalization from above apply for our own day and age?