Week 9 Discussion
Please no plagiarism and make sure you are able to access all resource on your own before you bid. Main references come from Capuzzi, D., & Stauffer, M. D. (2012) and/or American Psychological Association (2010). You need to have scholarly support for any claim of fact or recommendation regarding treatment. APA format also requires headings. Use the prompt each week to guide your heading titles and organize the content of your initial post under the appropriate headings. Remember to use scholarly research from peer-reviewed articles that is current. I have also attached my discussion rubric so you can see how to make full points. Please follow the instructions to get full credit for the discussion. I need this completed by 07/24/19 at 4pm.
Discussion – Week 9
Top of Form
Inclusive Theories in Career Counseling
“The earlier theories and approaches to career counseling…were developed before there was much emphasis …on the differeing needs of diverse populations.” (Ratts and Santosin Capuzzi & Stauffer, p. 111). Chapter 4 highlights the need to increase multicultural and diverse population awareness competencies. The text affirms that “promoting issues of career equity and access to career resources further enhances their work with clients” (p. 112). Expectations include ethical, nondiscriminatory, and objective performance and evaluation..
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review this week’s Learning Resources.
- Think about a few of the challenges that clients who have a diverse or multicultural background might encounter in terms of career development.
- With these examples in mind, reflect on why it is important for a counselor to engage in self-reflection and critique traditional career theories when working with clients who belong to these minority groups.
- Consider how the developmental theories described in Chapter 4 might be helpful in understanding the needs of these clients. Also think about how developmental theories and racial identity theories might be utilized to address the needs of clients who belong to different minority groups.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post by Day 4: a description of how development theories and racial identity theories could inform your work with clients who belong to these minority groups.
Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the Learning Resources.
Bottom of Form
· Capuzzi, D., & Stauffer, M. D. (2012). Career counseling: Foundations, perspectives, and applications. (2nd ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson Education.
o Chapter 4, “Career Counseling Without Borders: Moving Beyond Traditional Career Practices of Helping”
· Video: Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2007). Vocational psychology and counseling: Career counseling and diversity. Baltimore: Author with Dr. Darrell Luzzo
Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 17 minutes.
Accessible player –Downloads– Download Video w/CC Download Audio
· National Career Development Association. (2015). Internet sites for career planning. Retrieved from www.ncda.org/aws/NCDA/pt/sp/resources