Unit outcomes addressed in this Assignment:
● Identify personal ethics.
● Understand professional codes of ethics.
● Ensure personal and professional codes of ethics are in synch with organizational ethics.
Course outcomes addressed in this Assignment:
HS410-5: Integrate personal and professional ethics to achieve organizational goals.
You are the finance manager in a long term care facility that is struggling to remain solvent. The
facility’s administrator has hired a consultant to work with you to increase Medicaid
reimbursement. The consultant recommends that you be more “liberal” in coding the severity of
residents’ needs to justify greater reimbursement. The consultant tells you, “everybody does it”
and, “it’s an undetectable way to boost revenue”.
You believe this approach is somewhere between inappropriate and illegal. You know the
consultant is being paid on a commission and is an old college buddy of the facility
administrator. You also recognize that your facility could soon go out of business and leave you
without a job.
In a two page paper, respond to the following:
1. What are your ethical challenges?
2. What are your options?
3. What is your chosen course of action?
4. What will probably happen as a result of this course of action?