The purpose of this assignment is to enhance learners’ ability:
- To conduct an interview with Human Resource Manager on an issue related to HRM;
- To report the findings of the interview and make recommendations;
- To write a review of ONE (1) journal article related to any issue on diversity at workplace.
You are required to do TWO (2) assignments. These assignments should be completed individually.
Assignment 1 (60%)
Assume that you are being employed as a consultant by a company. The company is being accused of not having a solid strategy to keep its employees healthy and engaged.
Your task as the consultant is to find out through interview session/s with the human resource manager/director, the reasons for such divergence in perspectives and suggest some remedial actions.
You are required to hand in a written report on your findings and recommendations. Use double space and 12-point of Times New Roman font. This assignment should contain about 2000-2500 words (7-10 pages).
In the preparation of your report, you are advised to take into consideration the following:
- Brief description of the organisation. Provide clear and relevant information on the background of the organisation. Do not disclose the name of the organisation unless you have obtained permission from the management.
- Identify and discuss the link (relationship) between the health and productivity of the employees.
- Iidentify and evaluate the reasons for the divergence.
- Suggest recommendations based on the findings and suggest some remedial actions.
(Total : 60)
Assignment 2 (40%)
- Select one article.
Select an article from a refereed journal pertaining to ‘diversity in workplace’. The article to be reviewed must have been published within the past 5 years. You are to submit your chosen article along with this assignment.
(“Refereed” means that the article has been formally reviewed by a group of peer researchers.)
- Write a Review
Write a review of the article according to the following format:
State the Objectives, Article Domain and Audience. You may adopt the following sample:
- State the objectives (goals or purpose) of the article.
- What is the article’s domain (topic area)?
- Audience: State the article’s intended audience. At what level is it written, and what general background should the reader have; what general background materials should the reader be familiar with to understand the article?
- Brief Summary
For your article review, you do not have to spend much space summarizing the article. Instead the analysis of the article is more important. Thus, in this section, you are only required to summarise the article only very briefly (1 paragraph).
- Results/ Findings
Very briefly summarise the important points (observations, conclusions, findings). Do not repeat lists of items in the articles. Just summarise the essence of these if you feel they are necessary to be included . (1-2 paragraphs).
How do you find the article’s models, frameworks, theory, and guidelines, etc. applicable to the stakeholders. (2-3 paragraphs).
How does this article contribute to the knowledge in a research field, to researchers and managers / policy makers (2-3 paragraphs)?
(Total : 40)
(GRAND TOTAL : 100)
- Use double spacing and 12-font size Times New Roman.
- This assignment should contain about 3000-5000 words (15-20 pages).
- Provide references: References should use the American Psychological Association (APA) format.
- References should be current (year 2010 and onwards).
- Assignments should be submitted according to the fixed date.
- You are to submit a softcopy of your assignment online through myINSPIRE and a hardcopy to your facilitator.
- Plagiarism is not acceptable. If you are not sure what is meant by plagiarism, refer to the various websites which discuss this matter, e.g. owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts.