Assignment 1: Procedural Email Message
Due Week 2 and worth 140 points
Write a procedural email message to employees reminding them of standard operating procedures or organizational changes that take the form of step-by-step instructions. Be creative, or use an issue applicable to your work environment. (Example can be found on page 105, Figure 6-14, of the course text.)
The message should take the form of an email; however, you will submit your assignment to the online course shell.
The procedural message must adhere to the following requirements:
1. In terms of content:
a. Introduce the main idea of the message in a concise, informative manner.
b. Itemize three to five (3-5) key points with detail.
c. Provide information about where and to whom questions should be directed.
2. In terms of format:
a. Use a descriptive title or heading.
b. Use bullets to separate ideas and simplify reading.
3. In terms of style:
a. Include an appropriate and professional greeting / salutation.
b. Begin statements with action verbs.
4. In terms of clarity / mechanics:
a. Ensure that there are no grammar or spelling errors.
Your assignment must:
· Be typed, single-spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
Submitting your assignment:
· Submit your assignment through the online course shell only.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
· Use writing process strategies to develop brief business documents, such as routine messages, bad news messages, and persuasive/sales messages.
· Support ideas or claims in body paragraphs with clear details, examples, and explanations.
· Organize ideas logically by using transitional words, phrases, and sentences.
· Use sentence variety and effective word choice in written communication.
· Write clearly and concisely using proper writing mechanics.
Grading for this assignment will be based on quality, logic / organization of the email, and language and writing skills, using the following rubric.
Click here to view the grading rubric.