Over the past several decades, health care and information technology have undergone a period of dramatic change caused by a multitude of pressures and opportunities, many of which continue to persist and evolve. More recently, we have started to leverage the power of health care information technology to improve patient outcomes and to better engage patients in taking ownership of the health care processes. In addition, we have started to see a shift in health care reimbursement tied more toward patient outcomes than that of services actually rendered.
Read and review the assigned reading for this module to familiarize yourself with health care information systems and how they are used to improve patient outcomes (health outcomes). In addition, conduct some additional research on how health care systems are used to improve patient care. Write a 2- to 4-page paper (excluding title page and reference page) discussing how health care systems are used to improve patient care. Make sure to describe how health care information systems and applications can help improve patient outcomes and provide examples. Include reference to literature, expert opinion, and case examples from your research involving various health care disciplines to support your position, key points, and explanations.
- A 2- to 4-page, double-spaced paper discussing how health care information systems can improve patient outcomes. The length does not include the title page and reference page.
- A well-formulated introduction and conclusion that support the paper.
- A title page and supporting reference page.
- Your references and citations should be consistent with a particular formatting style, such as APA.
- Provide references from at least 3 scholarly articles (peer-reviewed). Do not include information from non-scholarly materials such as wikis, encyclopedias, or www.freearticles.com (or similar websites). Use the following link for additional information on how to recognize peer-reviewed journals: http://www.angelo.edu/services/library/handouts/peerrev.php.
- For additional information on reliability of sources, review the following source:
Georgetown University Library. (n.d.). Evaluating internet resources. Retrieved from https://www.library.georgetown.edu/tutorials/research-guides/evaluating-internet-content
- Your response should incorporate the outcomes of the module with the requirements of this assignment and will be graded according to the rubric.