J08 Domestic Violence
Directions: Be sure to make an electronic copy of your answer before submitting it to Ashworth College for grading. Unless otherwise stated, answer in complete sentences, and be sure to use correct English spelling and grammar. Sources must be cited in APA format. Your response should be four (4) pages in length; refer to the “Assignment Format” page for specific format requirements.
After her first husband died, Sules was forced to remarry by her father. Her new husband had 3 wives and 15 children, aside from hers. He beat her and raped her persistently. She is now HIV positive. “I was commonly the one who was beaten. He would beat me to the point that he was too ashamed to take me to the doctor. He forced me to have sex with him and beat me if I refused. This went for every woman [wife]. Even when he was HIV+ he still wanted sex. He refused to use a condom. He said he ‘cannot eat sweets with the paper [wrapper] on’” (Karanja, 2003).
1. In Uganda, is a crime being committed here? Explain your answer, providing two (2) supporting facts.
2. In Uganda, what problems do experts encounter trying to ascertain if the sex was not consensual? Explain your answer, providing two (2) supporting facts.
Below are two articles that will assist you in preparing your answer. To access ProQuest articles, you MUST first open a Web browser window to the ProQuest Library; otherwise, you will be denied access to the articles when you click the links. Once your browser is open to ProQuest, simply click on the link for the article you need to read. For detailed instructions on how to access ProQuest, click here.
· Birdthistle, I., Mayanja, B. N., Maher, D., Floyd, S., Seeley, J., & Weiss, H. A. (2013). Non-consensual sex and association with incident HIV infection among women: A cohort study in rural uganda, 1990-2008. AIDS and Behavior, 17(7), 2430-8. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/1428699147/DE9847A191624BACPQ/1?accountid=45844
· Zablotska, I. B., Gray, R. H., Koenig, M. A., Serwadda, D., Nalugoda, F., Kigozi, G., . . . Wawer, M. (2009). Alcohol use, intimate partner violence, sexual coercion and HIV among women aged 15-24 in rakai, uganda. AIDS and Behavior, 13(2), 225-33. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/211180309/95D43CC92D124E60PQ/1?accountid=45844
As a 15-year-old, Susan began running away from home, but was caught and returned. Her parents were alarmed at the behavior problems that were surfacing. She was getting into fights at school with other girls and had been suspended on two occasions. Up and down the inside of her arms and thighs were self-inflicted burn marks from cigarettes, in addition to cuts from a razor blade. In therapy, she divulged that her brother had molested her when she was younger.
1. Based on the information in your textbook, identify three (3) questions you would want to be answered by this teenager.
2. What are the current concerns you might have? Provide two (2) examples.
3. Describe one (1) appropriate intervention that might be of benefit.
Hi there! Click one of our representatives below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.