This assignment will define, describe and illustrate the “art movement” or influence of the time period indicated. The goal for this paper is for you to understand the characteristics from the movement or time period chosen and to find a modern example of it. You must submit either a word or pdf of the document ONLY (not rtfs or pages documents)—DO NOT copy and paste your submission into the “write submission” area.
Movements Assignment 1: Design Movements • Due 6/7/20 • (Choose 3)
Graphic Design of the Italian Renaissance
The Epoch of Typographic Originality
Arts & Crafts
Each movement submission should focus on the individual movements and how they treated or affected graphic design (You may mention other areas affected by the movement – product design, architecture – but the main focus should be graphic design.) You must include the following:
- The Movement name with a brief introduction to the movement and/or or time period
- Some historical context. Discuss how this movement related to the time period in which it was found and how it evolved from other movements or time periods.
- A description of the movement’s main design characteristics. This should define the specific characteristics of the movement. This must be in your own words. Again, with the focus on graphic design.
- A current/modern example of graphic design (NO PHOTOS or ILLUSTRATIONS. IT MUST HAVE TYPE IN IT) that appears to be influenced by the movement. DO NOT choose a sample of the movement from the original time period. You must embed the image in the document and include an explanation of why the image fits in the category or movement. It is not acceptable to say, I chose this example because it looked like but rather you should list the ways in which the example uses the techniques and characteristics of the movement. If an image falls short of one or two of the characteristics that is okay but point that out so that you show me that you know the characteristics.
- Conclusion: A wrap up of the movement, a segue into the next movement or some of your own thoughts about each movement
- All contemporary examples have to be within the last 15 years and must be graphic design (not illustration or photography). That means they MUST INCORPORATE TYPE IN THE LAYOUT and CANNOT BE PHOTOGRAPHS of architecture or IMAGES OF PAINTINGS OR ILLUSTRATIONS. These examples cannot have the name of the movement in the text of the image. That is, you cannot use a recent poster announcing an exhibition of Art Nouveau or the cover of a book about Alphonse Mucha or Paul Rand as our contemporary example. Find an image that has been influenced by and has the characteristics of the movement.
- The best place to look for images is in the graphic design annuals or at these organizations websites: AIGA, Art Directors, Graphis, etc. You can start by listing the attributes of the design movement, and then try to find an image that uses some of the same techniques. The contemporary image doesn’t have to have ALL of the attributes, and if they don’t, you should note where there are differences. You can also use a contemporary image from the textbook. Or you can just try and google the movement and see what comes up in google images. Just be careful what you choose because google is showing you everything. You cannot use student work from a class for this assignment. It must be an authentic design product by a professional in the design industry.
- CITE PROPERLY: You must include all references used for content and imagery in your papers. This includes books, magazines, and any web sites you use including sources for imagery and photo credit. **Whenever using a direct quote or other sources, you must use a proper citation to document them. Grammar, spelling, and punctuation all count. Run spell-check and proofread. Do not just copy the information out of the text book or other source, paraphrase in your own words, in your own voice and reference your material properly. If you copy and paste your content from a website to use as direct quotes you must reformat and take out the link, then cite them properly.
- You don’t have to use outside sources. But You are free to choose your reference material. The textbook has all the information you need but if you use any outside sources must be academic and scholarly in nature. You may use one (1) reference to wikipedia. That means, really one or two sentences…). AND It cannot be your main source.
- I am not going to limit you with regard to pages or word count. But each movement should be at least 2-3 pages double spaced. I have submitted a sample paper with two movements. (The content is not helpful to you since you don’t have those two movements as part of your assignments), but use it as a reference for organization and to see if you are following the specs of the assignment
- You must submit the assignment as a Word Doc or Pdf. Do not use pages or just type in the assignment drop box – make sure it is double spaced and formatted correctly.