This assignment is a reflection paper on the significance of a historical issue in today’s world. You may select a topic from the list below or chose a subject of your own liking. The goal of this paper is to provide critical reflection and analysis on the continuality and change in American history based on topics we have examined this semester. This paper should contain three or more comprehensive paragraphs with a minimum of 300 words.
The following are guidelines for your paper:
1. Selecting a Topic: You need to select a history topic covered in class that has modern day connections.
2. Writing the Paper: Your paper should include three sections – introduction, body, and conclusion.
- Introduction – should provide an overview of the issue and your thesis statement.
- Body – should discuss the issue in detail and depth. It contains two or more points in separate paragraphs to support your thesis statement. Each paragraph in the body should start with a topic sentence, followed with analysis and supporting evidence.
- Conclusion – wraps up your essay, restating your thesis statement and the main points from the body paragraphs as a recap.
- Source Citations – are important to document your evidence and give credit to the source. There should be three or more in-text source citations from the assigned readings and course materials.
The following are some broad issues for you to consider; please make sure that your topic is specific and manageable.
- The American Constitution and Its Amendments
- Slavery and Racial Equality
- The Two-Party System in America
- Equality for Women
- Immigration and Nativism in America
- Manifest Destiny and Native Americans
- Social reforms
- Sectional conflict
Based on your reading of Chapter 15 in the textbook, the primary source documents, and the online lessons, please share your views on ONE of the discussion topics.
- What were the major differences of the Reconstruction plans offered by President Johns and the Congress? Why were they different?
- How do you evaluate the significance of the Reconstruction laws, particularly the 14th and 15th amendment to the Constitution?
Please note that you need to write in separate paragraphs with a minimum of 250 words to your primary post. Be sure to base your posting on concrete examples, specific details, and quotes from the text and documents.