Assignment 1: Position Paper
Due Week 2 and worth 140 points
Public administration is an essential link between citizens and governments. With the rapid pace of globalization, the public sector is under even greater pressure to increase its capacity to deal with the new challenges and opportunities that globalization presents. The relationship between globalization and governance is multidimensional. States/countries with high levels of integration with the rest of the world tend to have better governance outcomes on the whole. Of course, the quality of governance can be directly related to the social and economic integration between states. The gross domestic product (GDP) per capita, religion, natural resources, fractionalization, and government size largely decide the outcomes.
Like globalization, governance can be conceived broadly or narrowly. How does globalization affect macroeconomic policymaking?
In this assignment, you are expected to select one country and do the following:
- Discuss a significant issue/challenge arising from globalization that has taken place in the last 3–5 years.
- Critically evaluate the current policy or policies for the issue/challenge.
- Consider possible alternatives.
- Advocate a particular policy choice and provide a rationale.
Use the Internet to conduct research for this assignment. Here are two resources to get you started:
Write a 1–2-page paper in which you do the following:
- Provide an introduction and context for the issue/challenge.
- Summarize what the existing literature says about the selected issue/challenge and the selected country’s policies impacting the issue.
- Suggest two policy options that the selected country’s government could follow in order to resolve the issue/challenge.
- Recommend one policy action based on your analysis of a set of alternatives. Provide a rationale for your recommendation.
- Provide at least three reliable, relevant, peer-reviewed references (no more than one used previously), published within the last 5 years, that support the paper’s claims.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Typed, double-spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with 1-inch margins on all sides.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
- Include a reference page. Citations and references must follow the APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is as follows:
- Prepare policy actions and options with consideration for a country’s policies and government.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic/organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following rubric