For this assignment, you will assume the role of an HR generalist. You play an essential and strategic role in supporting organizational productivity, growth, and longevity for your company. It is your role to protect the organization from legal and regulatory issues. At the same time, your job is to support the management and employees equally in line with organizational goals, policies, and procedures.
A manager and his or her employee contacted you separately to complain about one another. The manager is complaining that the employee has an attitude about the manager, the manager’s work, the department where the manager works, and the organization. The manager is concerned about the loss of productivity this employee is costing his or her department, as well as the impact of morale other employees. The employee is complaining that the manager is a dictator, does not care about people, only cares about productivity, and is inflexible. Both complained that the other does not communicate effectively.
Using your skills as a consultant, select some tools at your disposal to approach this problem. Remember, you have no direct power over these employees—you are acting as a consultant.
- Explain whether to focus on relationships or on processes and goals of the organization.
- Describe your consultative goals and consultative roles.
- Evaluate the steps you will take to influence the manager and the employee, through indirect control, to remedy the conflict.
- Explain your approach using the techniques of content and personal side of working with people to resolving this conflict.
To support your work, use your course and textbook readings and also use the South University Online Library. As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format.
- Create a 3–5-page Word document.
- Name your file as SU_HRM5090_W1_Project_LastName_FirstName.