Informative Essay Outline p1
Include: Sentence variety, Formal (3rd person), No contractions, No slang.
- Hook – AQQS Anecdote (short, interesting true story), Quote, Question, Strong Statement
- Background information (from sources)
- Thesis sentence
- Respond to the writing situation – Controlling idea of essay
Body (2-4) Paragraphs
- Transition, Topic sentence – controlling idea (writing situation)
- Lead in / quote – According to…/ evidence/ Cite (Source1)
2-3 supporting details from sources.
- Transition/Explain- more you than the sources.
- Restate Thesis – use synonyms
- Summarize your points
- What is the significance to society? Why the information/ explanation is important.
- Circle back to your Hook – address the anecdote, explain the quote, answer the question, support the strong statement – whichever applies.
Remember, this is an outline that should be used as a guide. Your personal writing style will make it unique!
Avoid words that are not strong: should, would, maybe, I think, I believe, …
Therefore In addition As the evidence shows Thus Whereas Hence
It is evident However Yet Consequently For instance In other words
Overall Nevertheless Similarly Likewise Ultimately Furthermore
, FOR End COMMA SPLICES!
, AND Use FANBOYS to join independent clauses (sentences).