Initial post of 400 words
Respond to Albert Camus’ “The Guest.” You may use the following prompts to help you get started, or you may explore and interpretation of your own choosing. Remember to use textual evidence to support your claims and interpretations.
1. Albert Camus, along with Jean-Paul Sartre, was a central figure in the existentialist movement. What is existentialism and how might “The Guest” be an example of an existential crisis?
2. Was Daru’s decision to let The Arab choose his own destiny a heroic or cowardly decision? What is the ultimate result of this decision? What lesson or theme do you think Camus is trying to communicate through this encounter?
- Read this short story by Albert Camus and then proceed to the discussion board that follows.Attached Files:
- the guest by albert camus.pdf the guest by albert camus.pdf – Alternative Formats (92.391 KB)
- Camus, Albert. “The Guest.” Continental Short Stories. Translated by Justin O’Brien. Edward Mitchell and Rainer Schulte, eds. W W Norton & Co Inc (Np) 1969.