Community meeting assignment
Community Meeting Assignment
Adelanto Community MEETING OF
PLANNING COMMISSION AND PARKS AND RECREATION COMMISSION
April 7,2021 @ 7:00 P.M.
Adelanto Governmental Center City Council Chambers
111600 Air Expressway • Adelanto, CA 92301 • (760) 246-2300 • www.ci.adelanto.ca.usPlanning
List of council/commission/board members and their occupations.
Commission Chris Waggener, Chair Mark Ferretiz, Vice Chair Keron Jones, Commissioner Jessie Flores, Commissioner Joy Jeanette, Commissioner Senior Planner Mark de Manincor
City Attorney Curtis R. Wright, Esq. Meetings held 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the month.
Planning Commission Parks & Recreation
Commission Keron Jones, Chair Terry Delgado,
Vice Chair Angelo Meza, Commissioner Laura Villa, Commissioner Taisha Brown,
Commissioner Development Services David Martinez City Attorney Karin Briggs
REGULAR MEETING PLANNING COMMISSION
PARK AND RECREATION COMMISSION
11600 Air Expressway • Adelanto, CA 92301 • (760) 246-2300 • www.ci.adelanto.ca.
Conditional Use Permit 16-08 Modification
#1: Proposal to Modify the existing, approved Conditional
Use Permit to allow a Type 21 Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC) License to allow for privileges to sell beer wine and distilled spirits, in package form for consumption off site for an existing, operational ARCO AM/PM Gas station Convenience Store located at 11701 Air Expressway on 6.8acres in the Business Professional (BP) zone (APN: 0459-352-22)
STAFF RECOMMENDATION: ADOPT Resolution P-21-05, to ADOPT the Categorical Exemption and APPROVE Conditional Use Permit 16-08 Modification #1 to allow for a Type 21 Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC) License to sell beer wine and distilled spirits, in package form for consumption off site for an existing, operational ARCO AM/PM Gas station Convenience Store.
RESOLUTION NO. P-21-05A RESOLUTION OF THE PLANNING COMMISSION OF THE CITY OF ADELANTO, SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY, CALIFORNIA, ADOPTING A CATEGORICAL EXEMPTION PURSUANT TO SECTION 15301 OF CEQA, MAKING FINDINGS, AND APPROVING CONDITIONAL USE PERMIT 16-08 Modification #1 TO ALLOW FOR A CALIFORNIA TYPE 21 ALCOHOL BEVERAGE CONTROL (ABC) LICENSE TO PERMIT off sale general liquor license.
FOR AN EXISTING AM/PM ARCO CONVENIENCE STORE AND GAS STATION WITH APPROXIMATELY 25 SQUARE FEET OF LIQUOR SALES LOCATED AT 11701 AIR EXPRESSWAY, ADELANTO, CA (APN: 0459-352-22).
CUP 19-06 Modification #1April 7, 20213ZONING REGULATIONS FOR ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE ESTABLISHMENTS:
Section 17.30.020and Appendix A of the City’s Zoning Code requires the approval of a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) for alcoholic beverage sales in the City. Through the CUP, the City typically places operating conditions on the establishments in order to minimize potential risks to health and safety.
Reasons for choice of this certain meeting.
When reviewing this meeting it seem to me that city hall was more concerned with businesses coming to the area and economic growth than the effects these businesses would have on the people that live in those low-income areas.
Research Information from meeting
The CUP process also provides a mechanism for the City to revoke the CUP if the establishment is out of compliance with conditions of approval. In addition to the general requirement for a CUP, Section17.25.060of the City’s Zoning Code also establishes location restriction criteria for the establishment of alcoholic beverage sales in the city, in proximity to sensitive uses, including, churches, parks, education institutions utilized by minors and residential uses and zoning. including prohibiting sales within one thousand feet (1,000′) of any area zoned or used for any church or park or any educational institution utilized by minors and within one thousand feet (1,000′) of any area zoned or used for residential purposes.
Due to alcoholism being a wide spread health and psychological issue in low income areas why are so many places of business in low income residential areas given alcohol permits.
I chose this meeting due to the fact this is a residential area that contains Family Housing areas, Elementary Schools, Church and Religious Institutions or park.
1) How does placing restrictions that prohibiting sales within one thousand feet (1,000′) of any area zoned or used for any church or park or any educational institution utilized by minors become a positive preventative measure when most of these areas are within one thousand six hundred feet (1,600′) of this area zoned for sales of alcoholic beverages how does this minimize potential risks to health and safety for these areas used for residential purposes.
According to NCBI.NIH.gov
In disadvantage areas liquor sales affect Neighborhoods and the socialization of children at an early age creating long term effects.
A person’s decisions to drink alcohol is influenced by the availability of alcohol in the local area along with the sales of liquor store density surrounding residential areas having a positive effect on alcohol consumption.
I felt the issue was a one side debate with no true information on the impact of these businesses on the community or its effects. It seems to me the environment was cold and fixed on economics instead of effects of the ecology of the family and children and how these dimensions of management might affect the behavior of this community. The issues seem to be on financial growth instead of the ecology of the community.
As far as the vote I feel there was not enough information towards long term impact or cause and effects of the much-encouraged fast growth of business to make a decision that would be fair towards the community or the businesses that wanted to invest in the high desert community we call home or for me to make a fair call.
Thanks to the City of Adelanto and its city council.
(Roberta M. Berns, 2016,Chapter 10, page 372-416)
Community Meeting in the discussion forum (50points): Each student will attend (not possible) or view, on TV/internet/web, live streaming, of a city council meeting, planning commission, or school board meeting in his/her community and report the reaction of the meeting. The meeting will give the student opportunity to see factors that both positively and negatively influence the socialization of the child and strategies that can support and empower a child and the family. Students can find the detailed guideline and grading rubric in the Modules tab. See the course calendar for due dates. Must post meeting write up in the Discussion board and respond to 3 classmates’ posts. Please see the
You will post the Community Meeting in this forum:
Each student will watch a city council, planning commission, or school board meeting in his/her community and report on the following: Note: must be in your community! Everything they talk about the effect on the child directly and indirectly.
- Research the items being discussed before attending or watching online. Choose to go to a meeting or viewing on television/Internet/youtube, in which some issues are of concern to you, the child, the family, and the community. Remember, ever issues concern directly and indirectly to all of us, child, family, and community. Include evidence of research (the process you take to conduct and gather the information)
You must create a thread to see other posts.
You can begin your discussion by including the following:
- Background Information and process and procedure
- Give background information
- Explain the process you took to research the meeting
- Describe the atmosphere of the room and the environment
- Explain why you choose the particular meeting/issue/concern
- List the council/commission/board members and th
- Describe how the issue you chose was handled (background information, debate, decision, etc.).
- Did you agree or disagree with the vote? Explain why.
- Describe how the topic discussed related to the Ecological Model of Human Development (Microsystem, Mesosystem, Exosystem, Macrosystem).
- Discuss your general impression of how the meeting was conducted.
- The effect it has on the child, family, and community.
– If applicable, Identify all or one of those… the educational, political, and socioeconomic impacts on children and families.
– Describe and discuss strategies that empower families and encourage family involvement in children’s development.
- Explain how you would handle the situation?
- Attach/Scan an agenda to your report. (the back of your paper)
Note: Be sure to integrate and support your discussion with specific and appropriate references from the textbook.
From your meeting information, if applicable, please:
- Describe socialization of the child focusing on the interrelationship of family, school, and community.
- Identify the educational, political, and socioeconomic impacts on children and families.
- Describe strategies that empower families and encourage family involvement in children’s development.
III. Concluding Thoughts
Write a brief paragraph in which you discuss
- Discuss at least 4 significant concepts learned from the assignment.
- Provide an explanation as to how information learned will be used for future growth.