For this Discussion Board, complete the following steps:
- Review the elements of Classical Conditioning, Operant Conditioning and Observational Learning in Chapter 6 of your textbook.
- Listen to the Goats and Soda podcast entitled “How To Get Your Kids To Do Chores (Without Resenting It)” and read the follow-up article “How To Get Kids To Do Chores: Does The Maya Method Work?”. The article can be accessed through the NPR website by clicking on the following link: Maya Method (opens in a new window).
In your initial post, thoroughly discuss the following:
- Explain how each of the following learning concepts are demonstrated in the “Maya Method”. Give concrete examples from the textbook, podcast and article to support your statements.
- Positive reinforcement
- Unconditioned stimuli
- Unconditioned response
- Conditioned stimuli
- Conditioned response
- Discuss the potential consequences of using physical punishment to shape children’s behavior.
Citing Sources: You must use APA style to reference your source(s) at the end of your submission. For this assignment, you must include reference information for your textbook, the podcast and the article. Information on how to format reference information (including a reference generator) in APA style can be found on the Purdue Online Writing Lab website at https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/apa_style/apa_formatting_and_style_guide/general_format.html (opens in a new window).
Acceptable Length: 300-500 word initial post; 2-3 sentence responses to at least three classmates.
- Use 12-point Times New Roman or Arial font
- Use double line spacing in the document
- 1-inch margins all around
Students are expected to write a 2-3 page reflection paper (not including cover page and references) describing a preferred approach to counseling from the theories we have covered throughout the semester in our textbook (e.g., Adlerian, Existential, CBT). The paper must be double spaced and written in APA format with a cover sheet and references. You may select one of the theories, or a combination of them, that you found to be most compatible with your beliefs, and most effective for helping clients deal with their problems.
All of the following needs to be addressed in your paper and you must LABEL EACH SECTION OF YOUR PAPER AS FOLLOWS:
· Selected Theories: What counseling theory or theories from the selected readings did you select and why?
· Goals for Therapy: What are the most important goals for therapy according to the selected counseling theory?
· Role of Therapist: What is your role and function as a therapist conducting this specific type of counseling?
· Techniques: What techniques would you be likely to apply to a specific problem(s) when using this type of counseling? Be sure to include the major techniques discussed in the textbook.
· Expectations of Client: What changes or outcomes would you expect to see from an individual after receiving this type of counseling?
Make sure that your opinions and assertions are supported by the information in the text and consistent with the theory or theories you selected. You should use the text as a reference as well as at least one outside resource and refer to it in your paper.
This paper will be submitted via Turnitin. Review the detailed Turnitin instructions (Links to an external site.) on how to submit your assignments and how to review the Grademark comments (feedback) from your professor. See the university’s policy on plagiarism.
Grading Rubric for Paper – 15 Points
· COVERAGE AND ACCURACY OF THE REQUIRED CONTENT IN EACH OF THE SECTIONS- 8 POINTS
· THOROUGHNESS OF THE DISCUSSION AND APPLICATION OF THE THEORETICAL CONCEPTS – 2 POINTS
· USE OF TEXT TO SUPPORT OPINIONS AND IDEAS- 2 POINTS
· APPLICATION OF AT LEAST ONE OUTSIDE RESOURCE WITH REFERENCE LISTED- 1 POINT
· APA FORMAT- 1 POINT
Application of the Belmont Principles
First, identify your research topic, including the key concepts you hope to investigate, any relationship you will look for between or among them—if anticipating a quantitative study—and who you anticipate as the target population.
RESEARCH TOPIC: Application of The Cognitive Psychology in Mental Illness or Trauma
Then, briefly identify how you would apply the three Belmont principles (beneficence, justice, and respect for persons) when you conduct your study.
Your post will be assessed based on the following:
· A thorough and high-quality post will apply one or more of the Belmont principles to all of the following elements of a research design:
o How one samples and recruits participants.
o How one collects data from those participants.
o How one manages, organizes, and conducts analyses of the data.
o How one reports the findings.
· An acceptable but lower quality post will apply at least one of the Belmont Principles to at least two of the design elements.
· A low-quality post will apply a Belmont principle to only one design element.
· An unacceptable post will not apply any Belmont principles to any design elements.
- What interested you about the role of a practitioner-scholar within the field of psychology.
- Write a paragraph summarizing your vision of your career as a practitioner-scholar in psychology.
- -Be sure to include information from the Articulating Your Purpose activity. (Attached file)
- Consider how the scholar-practitioner learning model can guide your professional development, encouraging you to investigate and critically evaluate relevant theory and research to determine effective best practices that you will use on the job. ( Attached File)
- How does your role as a practitioner-scholar impact your time management action plan?
- Based on your results on the time management action plan, what adjustments do you think you will need to make to succeed in your studies?
- How does University Policy 4.02.02: Learner Code of Conduct apply to your ethics as a practitioner-scholar?(Attached file)
While servant leadership is often associated with Christianity and the Bible, one could argue that it is compatible with most religions and philosophies and that it transcends cultures. This assignment presents you with an opportunity to explore other cultures, philosophies, and religions and asks you to think critically about how servant leadership practices are apparent in other religions and cultures.
Select one cultural context. Also select one religious’ viewpoint. You may not select Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, or Christianity, including any of its denominations or traditions such as Eastern Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism.
Examine how the principles of servant leadership are evident in that chosen culture and in that chosen religion. In an essay (1,250-1,500 words), identify similarities and differences between servant leadership’s philosophies and the values evident in the selected cultural context and religious viewpoint. Be sure to provide specific examples of practices and/or values in your discussion.
You are required to locate a total of four articles that address servant leadership in your chosen cultural context and religious viewpoint. Two of the articles should examine servant leadership from a different cultural perspective and two articles should examine servant leadership from a different religious perspective. Be sure to select academic articles from reputable sources that are 10-20 pages in length. Include information from the articles in your discussion.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide. An abstract is not required.
Theory-based treatment planning, the type you will use throughout this course, is informed and guided by your theoretical orientation. Incorporating your theoretical orientation into treatment planning will help you set goals and choose treatment techniques and interventions appropriate for the client(s) you serve (Gehart & Tuttle, 2003). This week, you apply two counseling theories, Bowenian and structural, to formulate your treatment planning and apply appropriate interventions.
In this Assignment, you watch videos of counselors demonstrating the use of Bowenian and structural theories in family counseling. You then formulate treatment plans for the couples and/or families in the videos, applying the theories in question and justifying the use of appropriate interventions.
The Assignment (2–3 pages)+treatment plan
Based on the theory demonstrated in both videos:
- Define the problem in each video.
- Create a theory-based treatment plan, including short- and long-term goals for the couples and/or families.
- Explain two theory-based interventions you would use and justify your selection.
- Explain one anticipated outcome of each theory-based intervention.
Support your Assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation. You are asked to provide a reference list for all resources, including those in the resources for this course.
Briefly describe the different parenting styles discussed in this week’s readings. How could they impact a child’s cognitive and social development? Select two parental characters in TV or movie media (e.g., movies, situation comedies, TV dramas) and identify the styles that the characters who are acting in the roles of the parents are applying to the characters who are acting in the roles of children. Each of your characters should demonstrate a different parenting style—do not discuss two characters demonstrating the same style. What do the readings say about the effects of these parenting styles on cognitive and social development? In what ways are the behaviors of the children consistent with the information in the readings and in what ways are the children’s behaviors different?
STEP #1: Select ONE popular press/mainstream media source (i.e., newspaper or magazine article,
online article, TV program) that discusses recent research on a psychological topic. Read this article, noting the general conclusions/impressions the average reader would make about the research findings based on that article.
STEP #2: Next, locate the scientific source (i.e., peer-reviewed journal article) that originally published
the research findings discussed in the popular press article. Read the original source, paying particular attention to how it may differ from the first in terms of language, tone and/or content when discussing the research findings.
STEP #3: After noting the similarities and differences between the two sources, write a critical review
that compares/contrasts the coverage provided by each (see Criteria below).
Your write-up MUST include the following:
1) Date and Source of the Popular Press Newspaper/Program/Website Article (i.e., the name of the article, its author(s), and the publication in which it appeared; the URL for the website) that discusses the findings of a research study conducted on a given psychological topic.
2) Summary of the Popular Press Article. Provide a summary of the article’s main points. This summary should include enough detail so that someone who has not read the article would still have a complete picture of what it had included. Be sure that your summary highlights the conclusions the average reader would be likely to draw about the research findings (and psychology in general) based on the coverage provided in the article.
(NOTE: It is advised that you complete these first two steps of the assignment before reading the original study (in the scientific source). That way, you are experiencing the popular press article on its own. This will help to make any differences between it and the original scientific study more salient to you.)
3) Date and Source of the Scientific Article (i.e., title of the article; its author(s); name of the journal) that originally published the study discussed in the popular press article.
4) Compare/Contrast to the Original Scientific Source. After summarizing the popular press article, read the original study published in the scientific/academic source. Compare and contrast how the same research findings are presented/discussed in the two sources (popular press vs academic/scientific). In doing so, please consider the following:
a) Do the two sources differ in terms of language and/or tone? Are strategies used by either to “grab the reader’s attention”? If so, how?
b) Does the popular press article “get it right”? That is to say, does the article accurately relay the methodology, findings, and/or conclusions of the original study? If not, what errors or oversimplifications are made?
c) Does the popular press article cite implications for the original research that “go beyond” what the original researchers have claimed? For example, does the popular press article suggest that the variables studied are causally related (i.e., one caused the other to happen) when the original research is merely a correlation between the two variables (and therefore cannot be used to make conclusions about causality between those variables)?
d) Would a reader who read only one of these articles be likely to draw different conclusions about the psychological topic being examined (and/or psychology in general) or would the conclusions be similar regardless of the source of the information (i.e. popular press versus academic)? If different, what would the differences be and what implications might that have?
e) What has this exercise taught you about the process by which research findings on psychological topics are communicated to the general public and how will it affect how you read articles (from various sources) in the future?
5) Complete Reference List. Provide a complete Reference list that includes each source cited in your
psychological application discussion (both popular and peer-reviewed). APA FORM
For the last several weeks, you have been locating and interpreting research on the dimensions of behaviorism. For this assignment, analyze and synthesize 3 current journal articles related to each of the following types of behaviorism (at least 9 sources total):
· Methodological behaviorism.
· Radical behaviorism.
· Post-Skinner behaviorism. Choose one of the following:
Your assignment should include the following:
· A brief summary of the main points related to the area of behaviorism presented in each of the articles.
· Evaluation of the authors’ presentation of the specific behaviorism theory in each article.
· Evaluation of how the authors’ perspectives on behaviorism are related to applied behavior analysis in each article.
· Comparison and contrast of the three articles within each dimension of behaviorism.
· Synthesis of the three articles within each dimension of behaviorism to present a comprehensive perspective.
· Complete, accurately-formatted APA citation in the reference list.
· Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
· APA format: Resources and citations are formatted according to current APA style and formatting guidelines.
· References: At least 9 scholarly sources, which should be peer-reviewed journal articles or other scholarly articles written within the past 5 years.
· Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.