Assignment one (Due asap)
Option #1 and Option #2: Annotated Bibliography of Sources
Create an annotated bibliography of sources for your Portfolio Project (for whichever option, 1 or 2, that you selected to complete).
You should have at least five sources, including at least one primary source and a scholarly journal article, to support your paper. You should fully cite all the sources (and/or images) in your draft bibliography in APA format. You may decide to strengthen the bibliography with additional primary sources, scholarly journals, and secondary sources, but the primary source and scholarly journal need to be included in your final draft.
This draft is intended to be a starting point for your paper.
For those completing Portfolio Project Option 1 (Essay): Include with your annotated bibliography a paragraph explaining where you found your sources, and any difficulties you continue to have with your project.
“Portfolio project: A Notable Person: Biography in Essay” —-Option 1
For the final Portfolio Project, option #1, write a paper about a person in a period of United States history from exploration to 1877, and explain a challenge the person faced, what that challenge was, and how the person did or did not overcome the challenge.
· Do not write a complete biography of the person’s life.
· Focus on a challenge faced by the person.
· Describe the historical, social, governmental or personal circumstances of the challenge.
· Explain how the person interacted with the challenge.
· Did the person meet the challenge and succeed?
· Did the challenge defeat the person?
· Explain the resolution of the challenge. Was it resolved? Did it continue?
· Does the challenge the person faced continue to challenge American society today? Explain how so or why the challenge no longer exists.
This paper must include a discussion of the following topics:
· a thorough summary of the event including the incidents that took place and the key individuals involved;
· the importance of the event in the scheme of U.S. history; and
· the impact of the event, person, or time in U.S. History.
Simple examples of historical figures and their challenges:
· Christopher Columbus and the challenge of exploration
Assignment two (Due Monday)
Option #1: Jacksonian Democracy: Who Benefitted?
Alexis de Tocqueville toured America after Andrew Jackson’s administration, a period of time your textbook titles “Jacksonian Democracy.” Tocqueville believed American democracy would eventually overthrow monarchies to become the world’s dominate governing system.
In a paper, explain the cultural and social ideas of Jacksonian Democracy. Then, consider who benefitted from Jacksonian Democracy and explain how you imagine this provided Tocqueville with his high esteem of democracy. For example, how did Jacksonian Democracy influence settlers in the old Southwest, the poor farmers, immigrants, Native Americans, slaves, women, and other groups?
· Your paper should be 2-3 pages long, not including the required Title and References pages. Your paper should include an introduction, a body with at least three fully developed paragraphs, and a conclusion. It should contain a fully developed and supported thesis statement.
· Format your paper according to APA 7 style
· Include a minimum of two academic sources (journal articles, books, etc.) other than the textbook for the course.