American National Government
News Journal Written Assignment:
For this Journal you will select your own article about the US president. The article you select will determine your success on this Journal. The article must illustrate at least three concepts discussed in your textbook. The news article you select must itself be at least 4 paragraphs in length and come from a major, national news source.
For a list of sources and search possibilities please go to the Media tab, on the POS 2041 Lib page. You may also use the Internet (i.e. Google) to find a relevant article for this assignment. After reading the article and the chapter about the president, address each of the elements below.
1. Summary – Summarize in paragraph form the facts and issues presented in the article. Document the source of your information with a parenthetical reference, i.e. (Sanger and Broad 2019, para. 4).
2. Application – Apply three or more concepts from the assigned chapter to the main ideas in the news article. Specifically explain how the material in your textbook is illustrated in the article you are examining. This can be accomplished by using examples from the article and terms or concepts found in the textbook. You must clearly define the concepts and provide in-text citations in the APA format, including the page numbers, i.e. (Krutz 2019, p. 15) for our textbook.
3. Analysis – Conclude with an analysis and reflection of the issue that includes reasoning related to concepts within POS 2041 an analysis of the article perspective. Does the article present the issue in a way that influences as well as informs. Lastly, include your own observations of the issue, the actions of those involved or an anticipated outcome related to your understanding of the concepts covered within the course.
In order to receive credit, you are also required to:
· Evenly divide your essay into sections by number and title. (i.e. 1. Summary; 2. Application; 3. Analysis)
· 1. Summary
· 2. Application
· 3. Analysis
· Penalties for not following this requirement will range from 5 to 10 points.
· Provide comprehensive analysis by using the textbook and other course materials as the primary source of information.
· Penalties for not following this requirement will range from 5 to 15 points.
· Submit your essay in at least 500 words.
· Penalties for not following the length requirement will range from 5 to 40 points.
· Submit the essay within the due date.
· No late submission will be allowed or graded unless documented emergency or accommodation is provided by the student.
· Avoid copy-and-paste and unnecessary quotations.
· Use paraphrasing instead of quoting.
· You should use a quote only when the same idea cannot be stated differently or when doing so would diminish its academic value. The latter is not applicable in our case and the former is rarely required at this level.
· Penalties for not complying will range from 5 to 20 points.
· Provide, even when paraphrasing, in-text citations and references in the APA writing format.