Chapter 13 discussion:
- California entered the Union as a free state, but it did not demonstrate equality for all men. How so? Why was there such a contradiction?
- How does the Compromise of 1850 foreshadow the coming of the Civil War?
- Who deserves the most blame for the Civil War—Harriett Beecher Stowe, John Brown, or Dred Scott? Justify your choice
Chapter 14 discussion:
- The Emancipation Proclamation actually freed no slaves. Yet, President Lincoln is credited with freeing the slaves. Why?
- Why would Southerners hesitate about having Blacks join the Confederate Army?
- Why did the North takes so long to win?
Chapter 15 discussion:
- If you were a Southerner, on whom would you place more blame for your situation after the Civil War, Northerners or slaves? Why?
- If you were a Freedman, what would you do within the first month of obtaining your freedom? What would you need to achieve that?
- After the Civil War, were all citizens free and equal? Explain.