Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 1, 2
- File: IRB Form and IRB Consent Form (in Course Document )
- Link (video): How is research made safe?
- Minimum of 3 outside resources
This assignment is meant to take you through the last step in your research project before you start collecting your data. For this project, you will be filling out an Institutional Review Board (IRB) form that we have. Most universities and colleges have a group of individuals that look over research before it is allowed to proceed. This helps to ensure that research is being done in an ethical manner. This form gives a lot of information to the IRB so they can make a decision about the research being conducted. Please note that your projects will NOT be reviewed by the IRB but by your instructor for the class. In class, work does not need to be review by the IRB but this step is still being done to ensure the efficacy and quality of your project.
The first step in this assignment is to download the IRB forms from the Course Document . Next, take your time and fill out the information that the document requests. I have included a few prompts to help you with what is requested. Some of the questions will not pertain to what you are doing in your research but I have left them in so you can get a sense of what is usually asked when filling out the IRB form. Every project using human participants must also use a consent form. The template for the consent form should be downloaded from the Course Document and everything that is highlighted should be replaced with information about your study. Once finished, upload the finished IRB forms with your name included in the file name.
Writing Requirements (APA format)
- 4-5 pages (approx. 300 words per page), not including title page or references page
- 1-inch margins
- Double spaced
- 12-point Times New Roman font
- Title page with topic and name of student
- References page (minimum of 3 resources)
Grading and Assessment
This assignment will be graded based on how well the topic follows the four key factors of good research topics. Also, grades will be based on how well the references in the literature review fit the topic.
Course Learning Outcome(s): 1, 3, 4, 5, 8
1. Understand the language of research.
3. Understand and apply the scientific method to answering research questions.
4. Design, conduct, analyze, synthesize, prepare a well written APA style research paper and communicate results from a scientifically valid, original empirical research
5. Develop verbal and written communication skills
8. Be able to evaluate programming, therapies, policy, etc.